Friday 7 December 2007

Charcoal Studies

 
Its my first time sketching nudes so be nice!. I bought a collection of nude photographs by Taschen. Its a fascinating insight on what was considered artistic or offensive from the mid nineteenth century to the late thirties. I used the photographs as a guiding tool for my sketches (plus it doesnt get the neighbours gossiping) Charcoal is so versatile and easy to use despite all the dust. I always avoided it because I didnt think it worked well for adding details and clean lines. But there are so many charcoal pencils to choose from and a variety of simple techniques, that you can create much more than simply a big dusty black mess.
I did these sketches within about 45 minutes. They arent perfect by all means, but I wanted to post them to declare my newfound friendship for the humble charcoal :)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

brianf@ozonline.com.au said...

You must be gaining a lot from your experiments in varying media. I now await some sketches from real life models.
I cannot resist adding that , even at my advanced age, I must agree with the e.e. cummings remark :
A pretty girl who naked is , is worth a thousand statues

Brian

khairun said...

Im not sure if I have the necessary skills or stamina to do a more complete study of a real life model, but I have certainly gained alot of confidence and determination to continue on this artistic path to God knows where lol
Thanks for the comment Brian