Wednesday 19 March 2008

Ive been very inspired by the work of Wangechi Mutu recently. Shes on one of my link lists if you want to have a look. She uses tape,glitter and magazine cut outs to make strong provocative and beautiful statements. Some of them are certainly not for the fainthearted. So I may include black glitter and other bits and pieces towards the the end of the piece, and I will highlight the foliage with some oilpaint. There has been alot of doubt as to whether oils and acrylics or other water based paints can be used together. What Ive heard is that oils should only be used at the very end, and not mixed with acrylics. Fat over lean method. As long as you use the oil sparingly it shouldnt cause any problems. Hopefully.

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

brianf@ozonline.com.au said...

Interesting mix --the subject's right eye is confronting , the left eye strangely wistful .

I won't try to analyse

Brian

Nx said...

I love this Khai. I don't know if you intend to paint the insects but I like them the way they are- ghostly, ethereal, transparent... It's given me some ideas. Mutu's work is great. I want to do some collages for my graduation show.

khairun said...

Thanks Nat and Brian.
I was going to paint the insects but I can see what you mean about the ghostly effects. So I might just leave it until the end to decide.
Anyway thanks for the words of encouragement. I usually need it!