Friday 18 September 2009

My mum would never believe I made this :)


With the most atrocious hand sewing skills that you could possibly imagine, I managed to come up with this lumpy but very squishable toy for my baby. It's called a grab ball.It's supposed to be good for developing the 'grabbing' instinct because of all the different segments that are small enough to hold on to, unlike a standard soft ball.I never once thought in a million years, that I would be able to do something like this. Despite my mother being an expert seamstress, whipping up dresses and skirts for me and my sisters as we were growing up, I just never picked up the sewing bug. We had a monster of a sewing machine at home, the big industrial kind. My mum must have used the constant whirring sounds to put me to sleep when I was a baby, and I remember being a little girl and getting totally peed off because I couldn't hear anything on the telly due to the sheer noise. I kinda feel bad now that I hadn't taken an interest in it back then, because I could have learnt so much. And not just sewing, but knitting and embroidery too. My mum did it all, whilst raising 5 kids!
Looking back and having this quiet time to think about all of this does make me feel closer to her and to my family in general. I think this is all part of the current hormonal rollercoaster ride that I'm on right now. I have been going through alot lately, in between the joyful moments of this pregnancy, Ive had my fairshare of frustration and sadness, which I probably don't let on too much as I like to hide behind my art work and general busybee self. I think I'll dedicate a future post to this subject, in the hope that it may be read by somebody else out there in the blogosphere,a new mummy or not, who may benefit from reading it. For now though, I'm off for a cheerful cup of tea and another doll making session.
Have a lovely weekend peeps!

3 comments:

Nx said...

Somewhere in the dark recesses of your mind, while try to strain to hear Eastenders you picked up some of mum's sewing skills. I had the same type of experience with my grandma and when I put my mind to it, I can call upon it although it's nowhere as impressive as her skills. The hormonal storm is definitely stimulating some extra creative juices eh? Hope you and Mr T are wellx

Flower Girl said...

I'm beginning to wish we could sit down for a coffee and tea and chat! I'd have the coffee because I looove me a good latte ;)
Everything about having a baby made me nervous and emotional. BUT I never wondered whether I would be a good mom because I learned from the best! My mom is such a good one that I knew somewhere deep down I had it in me. It's funny how and when things from our roots and our past surface...
I'm amazed that your mom did so much. I'm very inspired by that.
have a good one! xoxo kate

khairun said...

Nat - I hope this creative streak Im on, is not just down to the hormonal disco Im dancing about in. But the discobeats are definately a contributing factor!

Kate- Youre reminding me of how amazing my mum is too! And if she could find time to do what she loved, then it's certainly not beyond me. Just got to keep reminding myself of this (on a daily basis)
:)