Tuesday 26 August 2008

Friday Night

Spent most of it working but in the evening me and Mr T went to the Cultural Arts Centre in Belem to watch a film about Bangladesh. It was part of a documentary film season, along with theatre and dance performances. Normally Im really lazy when it comes to going to things like these but when I heard that the tickets were not only free but about Bangladesh I knew I had to go and see it. Unfortunately I appeared to be the only Bengali person who turned up. Thats something that bugged me abit, a part of me feels disheartened by it, but another part of me feels slightly embarassed at observing something that is a part of me and yet so distant from me too. Anyway, it was a lovely documentary about a community of villagers who spend half the year almost entirely submerged in water. Like travelling gypsies, they have to dismantle their homes once the waterlevel rises uncontrollably, in search for any piece of land. It was amazing to see how self sufficient and high spirited some of the villagers were and how happy the children were playing in such treacherous conditions. Very humbling for me in particular, having grown up in London with all the comforts of a westernised upbringing. It made me appreciate that if it wasnt for the decision of my parents to leave their homeland I would have had a completely different childhood.
I tried looking for a clip of the film via youtube but unfortunately I couldnt find it. Its called Sand and Water. Trust me to not remember the director either.

No comments: