Monday 22 September 2008

ohh to be well read

books books books. If they came in the form of blankets I would wrap them around me on cold nights, and let mindless worries drift away into my earl grey. I am one of those odd individuals who panic at the thought of how many books there are outthere that i have not read and may never well get round to reading (the apparently innocuous title '100 Books you must read before you Die' springs quite painfully to mind). Having spent this Monday afternoon browsing the Guardians top 100 books of all time (no mention of death in this list thankfully) I've come up with my own list of a manageable 10 that I really really should have read by now. Audiobooks will be an almighty help when it comes to my painting sessions too.

1 To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf



2.1984, by George Orwell


3.The Golden Notebook, by Doris Lessing


4.Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte


5.Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert

6.A Dolls House, by Henrik Ibsen

7.Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy

8.Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges


9.The Man without Qualities, by Robert Musil


10.Midnights Children, by Salman Rushdie

No comments: